ACLL can help attorneys comply with MCLE requirements
Minimum Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) refers to the continuing legal education required of California attorneys throughout their professional careers. Details can be found HERE.
The MCLE compliance deadline for California attorneys in MCLE Group 2 – last name beginning with H through M – is fast approaching. Attorneys in this group must complete and report their required MCLE credit hours by the February 1, 2018 deadline.
Here is a breakdown of the required credits for California attorneys:
- Half of the 25 MCLE hours must be in activities approved for what are called “participatory” MCLE credit.
- No more than 12.5 hours can be for self-study
- Other special requirements:
- At least 4 hours of legal ethics
- At least 1 hour of competence issues
- At least 1 hour in an area called the Recognition and Elimination of Bias in the Legal Profession and Society
MCLE materials at ACLL
Alameda County Law Library, an official provider of MCLE for the State Bar of California, maintains a large selection of current MCLE programs on CD in a range of topics. These materials can be checked-out by registered borrowers for a fee. The collection includes many programs in the required subject areas of ethics, competence issues (formerly called prevention/detection substance abuse), and elimination of bias. The library also collects MCLE materials on the topics of law practice management, trial skills, and current developments in substantive practice areas. The library can provide a portable CD player and headphones to attorneys who wish to use the materials in the library, or patrons can bring in their own laptop.
- Materials available for circulation to registered borrowers that can be used for:
- but can also be used for “participatory” credit with ACLL staff supervision.
- Fees – There is a fee schedule for the use of ACLL MCLE materials.
- For self-study, materials checked out and taken from the library – the charge is $15.00 per hour of MCLE credit
- For self-study for use within the library – the charge is $10.00 per hour of MCLE credit
- Participatory – if the materials are used within the library for participatory credit, the charge is $20.00 per hour of MCLE credit. You will need to complete paperwork for participatory. More info HERE.
Links to listings of ACLL MCLE titles
- MCLE – All Oakland 2016-2017
- MCLE – Competence Issues 2016-2017
- MCLE – Bias 2016-2017
- MCLE – Ethics 2016-2017