There is a new online legal research platform now in beta — Judicata.
The company’s current focus is California primary legal sources – cases and codes. Searching can be done by a natural language search or with terms and connectors. The search and page format is clear, simple, and user friendly.
MCLE Program – June 16
Alameda County Law Library will be hosting an MCLE program in Oakland next week on Thursday, June 16 – “Effective and Efficient Legal Research: Judicata.” Online registration is available on ACLL’s Eventbrite site – INFO HERE.
Speakers will include professional legal research instructors from the company.
Topics will include:
- Developing a strategy or plan of attack for your legal research
- Breaking down research questions into the parts that matter so that you can search more efficiently and effectively
- Constructing natural language queries that will find the best results (without the noise)
- Mastering searching by terms and connectors
What content does Judicata have?
Judicata currently has California civil appellate opinions (from 1935 onwards) and California statutes. Does not currently have federal cases, criminal cases, administrative decisions, state regulations, or repealed sections of California codes.
- Search Within Results: The Search Within Results filter limits your search results to cases that contain the text you enter into this box.
- Publication Status: The Publication Status filter limits your search results to only published cases, only unpublished (slip) cases, or both.
- Cause of Action: The Cause of Action filters limit your search results to cases where any of the complaints or cross-complaints alleged the selected causes of action.
- Procedural Posture: The Procedural Posture filters limit your search results to cases in which any of the selected judgments or orders on a particular motion are being challenged on appeal.
- Disposition: The Disposition filters limit your search results to cases having any of the selected dispositions.
- Appellant’s Trial Court Role: The Appellant’s Trial Court Role filters limit your search results to cases in which the appellant had the any of the selected trial court roles.
- Court:The Court filters limit your search results to cases issued by any of the selected courts.
- Judge:The Judge filters limit your search results to cases in which any of the selected judges participated. You will need to start to type in the name of the judge in order to get filter suggestions.
You can explore Judicata for free. For access, contact the company HERE .