Tax preparation help for Alameda County residents
Tax season has arrived. (Didn’t it just leave?) Two organizations in Alameda County have set up tax assistance programs:
Alameda County Social Services – Help for low and moderate income taxpayers
The Alameda County Social Services Agency (SSA) is providing at no cost IRS certified tax preparation assistance to low- and moderate-income taxpayers from January 20, 2016 to April 18, 2016.
Since 2002, SSA Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) preparers have helped taxpayers to receive larger tax refunds by claiming the credits they have earned. The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is provided to working families and single or married individuals. Additionally, families and individuals may be eligible for other credits. Individuals and households whose 2015 income was $54,000 or less qualify for the Federal EITC. You are invited to have your taxes prepared at no cost by our qualified IRS-certified preparers. Have your tax refund as quickly as 7 to 10 days.
Visit one of the four no cost tax preparation sites to find out if you are eligible.
Contact for more information – 510-271-9141 or email: email@example.com.
Additional Services Offered:
- Tax Preparation for Married Filling Separately for those who qualify; and,
- Assistance with the completion and submission of Form W-7 by Certified Acceptance Agents (CAA) to obtain an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for those who qualify.
Dates: January 20, 2016- April 18, 2016 (Sites will be closed on February 15, 2016 in observance of Washington’s birthday.)
- Thomas L. Berkley Self-Sufficiency Center
2000 San Pablo Ave
Oakland CA 94612 (map) No Appointments Are Necessary! Walk-ins are welcome during our hours of operation.
- Enterprise Office
8477 Enterprise Way
Oakland CA 94621 (map) No Appointments Are Necessary! Walk-ins are welcome during our hours of operation.
- San Lorenzo Office of Supervisor Wilma Chan
15903 Hesperian Blvd
San Lorenzo CA 94580 No Appointments Are Necessary! Walk-ins are welcome during our hours of operation.
- Eden Area Multi-Service Center
24100 Amador St
Hayward CA 94544 (map) Call (510) 777-2350 for scheduling.
- Mondays: 5:30 PM – 8:30 PM
- Wednesdays: 5:30 PM – 8:30 PM
- Saturdays: 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
What do I bring?
- Photo ID for each person adult person on tax return
- Social security or ITIN card for each family member
- W-2 forms or 1099-MISC, and all other payment documents for all jobs or income received in 2014
- All 1098,1099 forms & any other tax forms
- Unemployment income–1099G
- Form 1095-A, 1095-B, 1095-C, Affordable Health Care statements, or exemption documentation
- Child care provider information
- Bank interest statements
- Landlord’s name, address, and phone number for CA renter’s credit
- Educational Expenses
- Copy of 2013 Tax Returns, if available
- Checking and savings account numbers; and, routing number for direct deposit
Note: Both spouses must be present to sign required forms on a married-filing-joint tax return.
And at the Oakland Public Library
The Oakland Public Library and the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) are partnering to offer free tax assistance to residents at selected libraries during the 2015 tax season. Trained volunteers will be available to answer questions and prepare personal tax returns between February 2, 2016 and April 18, 2016.
PRIORITY WILL BE GIVEN TO SENIORS.
Be sure to bring copies of federal and state tax returns for last year and all materials pertaining to your 2015 income. Come with your spouse if filing jointly.
Dates: February 2, 2016 – April 18, 2016
Please call ahead to confirm times.
- Oakland Main Library, Bradley Walters Community Room (starts Feb. 3; Closed Feb. 15)
Mondays, 10am – 3pm, Wednesdays, 12 – 4pm, Saturdays, 10am – 3pm. No advance appointments: arrive early to sign up for a time slot. 125 14th Street, (510) 238-3134.
- César E. Chávez Branch
Thursdays, 10am – 3:30pm. Bilingual Spanish/English. Call for an appointment. Some walk-ins may be accepted; call for information. 3301 East 12th Street, Suite 271, (510) 535-5620.
- Dimond Branch (Closed Feb. 16)
Tuesdays, 12:30pm – 4:30pm, Thursdays, 10:30am – 3:30pm. Call for an appointment. 3565 Fruitvale Avenue, (510) 482-7844.
- Eastmont Branch (Closed Feb. 12)
Fridays, 12 – 5pm. No advance appointments; arrive early to sign up for a time slot. 7200 Bancroft Avenue, (510) 615-5726.
- Golden Gate Branch
Wednesdays, 10am – 3:30pm. Call for an appointment. 5606 San Pablo Avenue, (510) 597-5023.
NOTE: Tax Forms Availability for 2016
Due to severe budget cuts, the IRS is no longer providing libraries with a large selection of paper tax forms and instructions. If you need tax forms, you can either download them from the IRS website, or visit the IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center at 1301 Clay Street in downtown Oakland. The Taxpayer Assistance Center is open from 8:30am to 4:30pm Monday through Friday.