The Regular Appeal Filing Period in Alameda County is July 2 through September 15. Applications for the Regular Filing Period must be received/postmarked no later than September 15. The Alameda County Assessor has a very informative website at http://www.acgov.org/assessor/. Go to http://www.acgov.org/clerk/assessment.htmto find much of the information you need for an appeal.
The Clerk, Board of Supervisor’s Assessment Appeals Unit receives and processes assessment appeal applications; schedules hearings in accordance with legal requirements; maintains minutes and official records; provides administrative support to Assessment Appeal Board members and Hearing Officers; and provides assistance and education to the general public on the assessment appeals process. If you have questions about the appeals process please contact us at
Online Application for Changed Assessment
Press Release (88kb) *
This video walks you through the process of preparing and presenting your Assessment Appeal of your Property Tax Assessment at your county Board of Equalization or Assessment Appeals Board. State Board of Equalization Assessment Appeal Instructional Video.
The following documents are provided in Portable Document Format (PDF) and require the free Adobe Reader.
• Application for Changed Assessment (PDF 544kb)
• Withdrawal of Application for Changed Assessment (PDF 61kb) *
• Notice: Application for Changed Assessment (PDF 174kb) *
• Assessment Appeals Board Instruction Booklet – English (PDF 610kb) *
• Assessment Appeals Board Instruction Booklet – Spanish (PDF 622kb) *
• Assessment Appeals Board Instruction Booklet – Chinese (PDF 858kb) *
• Request to Waive Nonrefundable $50 per Parcel Assessment Appeal Application Processing Fee (PDF 480kb) *
• What to bring to AAB Hearing (PDF 240kb) *
In addition the Alameda County Law Library in Oakland has the definitive work Taxing California Property, 4th edition by Sean Flavin. It is a three volume loose-leaf shelved on the first floor of the Law Library in stack 116B with call number KFC 881 E35. It was last updated in 2014.
California Pleading and Practice, Chapter 540, “Taxes and Assessments “ with headings such as “In General”, “Structure and Administration of Property Tax System”, “Taxpayers’ Administrative Remedies”, and “Judicial Remedies Available to Taxpayers and Purchasers” provides explanations and forms.