The new fee increases will be in effect in Alameda County Superior Courts on Monday, October 25, 2010.
From the publishers of Litigation by the Numbers:
The Governor has signed SB 857 and the new filing fees are now in effect. Each county will begin collection of the new fees as soon as they can update their systems.
The new fees are outlined below:
1. First appearance in an unlimited civil action (over $25,000.00), Family law petitions, and Probate petitions by plaintiff(s) and each defendant will increase to $395.00. This fee increase applies to all types of filings in which the previous fee was $355.00 (civil, probate, family, etc…)
2. First appearance in a limited action ($10,000.00 up to $25,000.00) by plaintiff(s) and each defendant will increase to $370.00
3. First appearance in a limited action (under $10,000.00) by plaintiff(s) and each defendant will increase to $220.00
Note: The above fees do not include the additional fees required for Unlawful Detainer filings (additional $15.00) or the surcharges imposed in Riverside County, San Bernardino County, or the City and County of San Francisco.
4. Motion for Summary Judgment/Adjudication will increase to $500.00
5. Application by counsel to appear Pro Hac Vice will increase to $500.00
6. Adds an additional $3.00 penalty to every parking violation
7. Additional increases in various criminal penalties and traffic fines
8. A fee for telephonic appearances (a fee payable to the court in addition to fees paid to vendors). Fee has not been determined yet.